Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Winter DsDoZ 2008 Results!!

#1 User is offline   GetDizzy 

• Touch Fuzzy.
  • Group: DigiStaff

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:57 PM

In 15th place, a Winter '08 DoZ game (:Q labs (Old-Sckool)) with 121 / 1600 points.
In 14th place, Archer Gremory is Thirsty (A Huge Jerk (Kuddy)) with 170 / 1600 points.
In 13th place, The Dissappointingly Brief Adventures of Aquaria (Allium cepa (Malwyn)) with 468 / 1600 points.
In 12th place, Deluge (Random Team with no creative name (SmartRutter)) with 472 / 1600 points.
In 11th place, Marooned (I Can't Believe It's Not Working! (paulguy, GreaseMonkey)) with 502 / 1600 points.
In 10th place, PEE*E (BnL DoZ Team #0002 (asiekierka)) with 533 / 1600 points.
In 9th place, The Curious Case of Ash McArthur (Rokkaku Law Enforcement Division (hayashi)) with 625 / 1600 points.
In 8th place, Slaughter Down Under (TEAM POTENTIAL TEAMWORK FAILURE (commodorejohn, pyro1588)) with 866 / 1600 points
In 7th place, Drippy and the Evaporated Sea (Not a Joke Entry this time (KirbySSB, GohanSSB)) with 887 / 1600 points.
In 6th place, Superb Benthic Zone Adventures (Elevator Dentist Squad (Captain Failmore, Christian, Nedemai)) with 891 / 1600 points.
In 5th place, Ghost Busted (Jump Back, Kiss Myself (Revvy, KKairos, Wildweasel)) with 958 / 1600 points.
In 4th place, Whirlwind (Team Breaking Wheel (Maxim, Ryosuke)) with 1142 / 1600 points.

In 3rd place, Murder at MegaZeux Manor (The Suicidesketeers (asgromo, mzxgiant, CJA)) with 1159 / 1600 points.

In 2nd place, Murder on the Yellow Express (Wild Bidoof has appeared! (Logicow, Madbrain, windbladeicepuppy)) with 1172 / 1600 points.

AAAAND

In 1st place, Xin (TEAM BRO FIST (Lancer-X, Wervyn, Quasar84)) with 1256 / 1600 points.

HOSTS SPECIAL AWARDS:

THE "IGOR" AWARD: "Pronounce it Eye-gor": Wervyn of Team Bro Fist.
THE "I'LL DO IT TOMORROW" AWARD: Tecki, Judge.
THE "SKIN OF HIS TEETH" AWARD: Hidden, Team Breaking Wheel
THE "GAMING THE SCORESHEET" AWARD: Logicow, A Wild Bidoof Has Appeared
THE "HATRED OF THE COMMUNITY" AWARD: ScottVyper, Judge
THE "HOW THE HELL?!" AWARD: Deluge, Game by Random Team With No Name (SmartRutter)
THE "DRINK, SPIT, GOOD" AWARD: Archer Gremory is Thirsty, Game by A Huge Jerk (Kuddy)

Excel Sheet Here (Courtesy Ig... err, I mean, Wervyn): http://afailed.cspro...08Q4_Scores.xls

Judge Sheets: http://www.digitalmzx.com/doz/judging/
- Your Jumpy Neighborhood Admin

<@Tixus> Anyway, I set the year to 1988 for some reason.
<@Tixus> And set the microwave to run for a minute and 28 seconds.
<@Tixus> But it failed to send me back in time, and I was disappointed.
<Insidious> Tixus accidentally microwaved the 80s
<Insidious> that is my takeaway from this

#2 User is offline   hayashi 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:00 PM

I DEMAND A RECOUNT

actually, no I don't. I'm happy with my score; this wasn't a good DoZ for me.
I appear to still be here. Wat

#3 User is offline   Wervyn 

• I can see you

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:19 PM

All the judging results are mirrored on our doz archives here. An archive of the site will remain up here.

I also recommend anyone who has a commercial version of Office to look at the spreadsheet I put together. I spent a lot of time improving it over last year's, and there are a few really neat things you can do with it:
  • Sort by any category or subcategory using the list collection at the top. For instance, you could see what Terryn's ranking of the games was, or which games had the best gameplay overall. The actual numbers used to represent scores in the list are normalized to fractional numbers between 0 and 1, so that sorting across different scoresheets is actually useful for comparison.
  • Look at a comparison chart of the judges' total scores, sorted by the current order from the main spreadsheet. Here you can clearly see how much of an outlier Scott Vyper's scores were. For half of the games in the competition, his score is more than 50 points higher than the average of the other judges' scores. For two of the games his score is more than 100 points higher. And then, heh, there's Deluge.
  • Remove a judge's scores from the calculation using a control field at the top of the sheet. You can set this to 0 (will appear as "No") to zero out all of that judge's scores, or to 1 (appears as "Yes") to reinclude them. Using this, you can quickly see what the ranking would be like if we decided to throw out a judge's scores. Don't ACTUALLY set the field to "No", or it will be read as a true value (non-empty string) and do the opposite of what it looks like it should.

One caveat: the spreadsheet uses a custom VB function to format all of the numbers, and so Excel will probably complain at you about security and viruses. Set macro security to medium and allow the sheet; this is the full content of the embedded code I added to the sheet.
' Source = [url="http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/formula.htm"]http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/formula.htm[/url]
Function GetFormula(Cell as Range) as String
   GetFormula = Cell.Formula
End Function
Function GetFormat(Cell as Range) as String
   GetFormat = Cell.NumberFormat
End Function

Anyway, enjoy. Good DoZ guys.

"Abby Normal." "Abby Normal?" "I'm almost sure that was the name."
To lie is to change the truth.
..Ignorance is to be unaware of the truth.
....Incompetence is to be unable to grasp the truth.
......And escape is to run away from the truth.
It is useless to run, since the truth is right next to you.

-Wervyn

#4 User is offline   Dr Lancer-X 

• 電波、届いた?

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:09 AM

TEAM BRO FIST
...................__
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´..... ¯/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
IF YOU DON'T POST FIVE BRO FISTS TO THIS BRO FIST THEN YOU'RE A SORE LOSER
Posted Image
<Malwyn> Yes, yes. Don't worry I'd rather masturbate with broken glass than ask you for help again. :(

#5 User is offline   CJA 

• «≡larch bucket≡»
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:32 AM

...................__ ...................__ ...................__ ...................__ ...................__
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸ ............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸ ............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸ ............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸ ............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\ ........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\ ........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\ ........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\ ........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´..... ¯/'...') ........('(...´...´..... ¯/'...') ........('(...´...´..... ¯/'...') ........('(...´...´..... ¯/'...') ........('(...´...´..... ¯/'...')
.........\.................'...../.........\.................'...../.........\.................'...../.........\.................'...../.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´ ..........''...\.......... _.·´ ..........''...\.......... _.·´ ..........''...\.......... _.·´ ..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............( ............\..............( ............\..............( ............\..............( ............\..............(

this was a great doz
Need a dispenser here.

#6 User is offline   Quasar84 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:52 AM

Yeah, it was a solid DoZ. Congratulations to everybody, and cheers for Xin: The Best Game that Nobody Actually Liked Playing. =D

#7 User is offline   GetDizzy 

• Touch Fuzzy.

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:50 AM

...................__..............................__.............
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸................./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸.....
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\.........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\..
........('(...´...´..... ¯/'...')........('(...´...´..... ¯/'...')..
.........\.................'...../.........\.................'...../..
..........''...\.......... _.·´............''...\.........._.·´.....
...........\..............(..................\..............(........
...................__..............................__.............
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸................./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸.....
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\.........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\..
........('(...´...´..... ¯/'...')........('(...´...´..... ¯/'...')..
.........\.................'...../.........\.................'...../..
..........''...\.......... _.·´............''...\.........._.·´.....
...........\..............(..................\..............(........
...................__
- Your Jumpy Neighborhood Admin

<@Tixus> Anyway, I set the year to 1988 for some reason.
<@Tixus> And set the microwave to run for a minute and 28 seconds.
<@Tixus> But it failed to send me back in time, and I was disappointed.
<Insidious> Tixus accidentally microwaved the 80s
<Insidious> that is my takeaway from this

#8 User is offline   Wervyn 

• I can see you

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:07 PM

Yeah boy TEAM BRO FIST just FISTED UR BRO!

...................__

...Oh god that was horrible.

"I mean ur MOM"
To lie is to change the truth.
..Ignorance is to be unaware of the truth.
....Incompetence is to be unable to grasp the truth.
......And escape is to run away from the truth.
It is useless to run, since the truth is right next to you.

-Wervyn

#9 User is offline   Scott Vyper 

• -=Death By Technology=-
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:24 PM

View PostInsidious, on Jan 12 2009, 04:57 PM, said:

THE "HATRED OF THE COMMUNITY" AWARD: ScottVyper, Judge

I'd like to thank the little people I stepped on for this award. Hopefully they are re-incarnated as something bigger... so they'll make a bigger target.

As for the winners, congratulations. Good to see that Megazeux is no different from a standard gaming community... great graphics and shitty gameplay ftw!

#10 User is offline   mzxgiant 

• DigitalMZX Server Ninja & Code Monkey

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:32 PM

View PostScott Vyper, on Jan 13 2009, 01:24 PM, said:

As for the winners, congratulations. Good to see that Megazeux is no different from a standard gaming community... great graphics and shitty gameplay ftw!

Pot? Meet Kettle.

#11 User is offline   SmartRutter 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:31 PM

View PostInsidious, on Jan 12 2009, 05:57 PM, said:

In 12th place, Deluge (Random Team with no creative name (SmartRutter)) with 472 / 1600 points.

THE "HOW THE HELL?!" AWARD: Deluge, Game by Random Team With No Name (SmartRutter)

hooray, instead of somehow not getting last, i get a special award. :p

but yeah, my game sucks and doesn't deserve 12th. Other than that, great doz everyone. :p

#12 User is offline   Old-Sckool 

• megazeux breaker
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:14 AM

damnit, last place again. better not make it a hat trick next DOZ.

Fun fact: The last 2 doz entries I've submitted have not received a time penalty despite submitting with like 5 mins before automatic DQ.

I learned that making a simple RPG engine is not simple this DOZ.
<Nadir> mzxers don't make GAMES, usually
<phthalocyanine> they make experiences.
<Nadir> demos, more like
<Nadir> a glimpse into what could have been if mzx wasn't such a bore to work with
<Nadir> actually, i'm being unfair
<Nadir> i would have made mzx games if it was capable of running on more than 20 computers worldwide in 1998
<Nadir> >:D

<%Alice> functor
<%nooodl> i hear C++ has a thing called functors and they're completely different from Haskell functors...
<rorirover> the result is the most horrid thing in C++, it's basically black magic and it transforms any code you're writing into some eldritch monstrosity

#13 User is offline   Exophase 

• Laughing on the inside.

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:35 PM

View PostScott Vyper, on Jan 13 2009, 01:24 PM, said:

I'd like to thank the little people I stepped on for this award. Hopefully they are re-incarnated as something bigger... so they'll make a bigger target.

Why are you still here :p
~ ex0 has a kickass battle engine, without it you sux0rz! without it you sux0rz! ~

"The fact that I say I've one of the best, is called honesty." -Akwende
"Megazeux is not ment to be just ASCII, it is ANSI!" - T-bone6
"I hate it when you get all exo on me." - emalkay

Exophase can what Rubi-cant.
exoware is ware ur ware is exoware
ps. not loking 4 new membrs kthx

#14 User is offline   KKairos 

• not an actual chipmunk
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:32 AM

Vyper, Insid's award was more a commentary on the way the community responded than an actual statement that we hate you. (I could be wrong on this point, but I don't hate you. However, I definitely felt shafted by your scores to my team vs. the Deluge team, with all due respect to Rutter.

If you stick around and turn out to be an alright guy, which I'm guessing you are, I won't hate you.

I'm not disagreeing about graphics vs. gameplay. Graphics were definitely the strong suit of the top two entries. But the rest of the top 4 were fine on gameplay, even better than the top 2. (I'll leave it to you to judge Ghost Busted, which might not be in my best interest, but oh well.)

For the record, my judgement for best gameplay goes to Drippy and my second best goes to Murder at MegaZeux Manor. But most people already knew that if they talked to me on IRC. Also for the record, Xin's gameplay wasn't tops, but it wasn't the worst by far.

But the fact is, it's a really good idea not to make comments like the one you made to further piss off a community that, per Insid's award, was already kind of pissed at your judging and for your response to criticism.

Here I was feeling a little bad for all the crap we dumped on you; I apologize for whenever I went overboard, because such probably happened, but I do not apologize for the legitimate criticism of your judging that were made on my behalf of anyone else's. Heck, I even felt a little bad on Rutter's behalf for complaining about Deluge. And I still feel a little bad for the way we all went overboard on your ass.

And we did.

But lashing back won't help too much. Insid was just trying to lighten the mood; I guess in my opinion giving Deluge the "how the hell" award would've been enough. But oh well.y

All that said, as I usually do, I encourage you to stick around and make games so we can play your games and enjoy your company. Of course, I can't force you to, but you definitely should.
darganflayer.net kaikairos.dev itch.io

#15 User is offline   hayashi 

• PipPip

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:10 PM

If there's anything I've learned over the past two years, leaving (or threatening to leave) the community like that over something like that is a BAD IDEA.

I don't hate you, and as kkairos said, if you stick around I'm sure most of the community won't either :p
I appear to still be here. Wat

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users