• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DOZ RESULTS

#1 User is offline   Terryn 

• Group: DigiStaff

Posted 25 August 2007 - 03:24 AM

The judging's finally over, and you've waited a long time, so I'll make this brief. Here are the rankings for this season's DsDoZ:

DQed - GeneTEAcal Experiment by Team Matt, you don't want my help! [asiekierka], #76385 (41 points)
DQed - Moonlight Blue MZX Edition by Team (gomen nasai) [Lancer-X], #8898 (154 points)
DQed - Digital Crime alert Monitoring & Prevention by Team Oppressive Totalitarianism [wildweasel], #5443 (160 points)
12th - Mutant Farmer by Team MASSIVE ARMY OF KILLER ATTACK KITTENS [Apage, Ikokou], #5582 (190 points)
11th - Unit Unresponsive by Team ?C?llate y ZZT! [Quantum P.], #40984 (238 points)
10th - Contingency Crisis by Team Failbox Allstars [Taitorian], #31067 (335 points)
9th - 2716 by Team FUCKING GENISSION ROAD >:U [CJA, Guy], #2716 (406 points)
8th - A Nervous Stroll by Team Chinese Meals Interest Floor [asgromo], #23217 (540 points)
7th - BOB OF THE FUTURE by Team Teamshi [Goshi], #28635 (544 points)
6th - Rogue Android by Team WE SUCK AT THIS [Insidious, JohnK, paulguy], #7676 (593 points)
5th - Oops! by Team Rogue Generated Exploding Contractors @_@ [Old-Sckool], #2628 (630 points)
4th - Skwirl stars in... The Game That Skwirl Stars In by Team HE'S GOT BIG BALLS D=> [Kaede], #27347 (733 points)
3rd - Project Excelsior by Team Envoys From B-Garden's SeeD's DoZ Task Force [NiMa, RobDonkey, asiekierka], #8165 (833 points)
2nd - Last Generation by Team The Batman Brigade [Quasar, Exophase, Tixus], #18385 (841 points (935 points before 10% penalty))
1st - The Galatea by Team The Allium Conspiracy [Malwyn, LogiCow], #5171 (1042 points)

Judging sheets are here:

Drelick
Shatter
syntaxglitch

Congrats from Lancer and I for making this a worthwhile DoZ.

Addendum: Just in case anyone notices, mzxg made an error calculating #7676's overall score and syntax did the same for #2628. We've kept the sheets unedited for now, but the scores above have been triple-checked as the correct scores.
angelic stream - shed sanguine - ill-adapt - avis - para/lyser - renaissance - dead tangent - phosphene blur - birth breeds death - ________ - painted glass - lagniappe

<Exophase> HES STEALING MAH AIRSHIP!!!!!!11111111

#2 User is offline   Old-Sckool 

• megazeux breaker
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 August 2007 - 03:28 AM

About fuckin time! =p
<Nadir> mzxers don't make GAMES, usually
<phthalocyanine> they make experiences.
<Nadir> demos, more like
<Nadir> a glimpse into what could have been if mzx wasn't such a bore to work with
<Nadir> actually, i'm being unfair
<Nadir> i would have made mzx games if it was capable of running on more than 20 computers worldwide in 1998
<Nadir> >:D

<%Alice> functor
<%nooodl> i hear C++ has a thing called functors and they're completely different from Haskell functors...
<rorirover> the result is the most horrid thing in C++, it's basically black magic and it transforms any code you're writing into some eldritch monstrosity

#3 User is offline   Terryn 

Posted 25 August 2007 - 03:35 AM

<Terryn> WOW, were judges overly harsh on poor Quantum.
<lancer-snark> Indeed!
<Terryn> It's like they didn't bother looking into the code to see how to do things, or simply didn't try pressing keys until something worked.
<Terryn> I managed in secnds, though some help telling you how to play would have been nice
<Terryn> *seconds
angelic stream - shed sanguine - ill-adapt - avis - para/lyser - renaissance - dead tangent - phosphene blur - birth breeds death - ________ - painted glass - lagniappe

<Exophase> HES STEALING MAH AIRSHIP!!!!!!11111111

#4 User is offline   Val 

• ring ring zap
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2007 - 03:39 AM

I love how djtiesto was the only person who realized that there were no bugs in our game and that it's not incomplete. It's supposed to loop!

#5 User is offline   Lachesis 

• the pinnacle of human emotion

Posted 25 August 2007 - 03:49 AM

I love how drelick gave me absolutely ridiculously low gameplay, graphics, and sound scores when they were nowhere near thatAGAZS GASGASGfjdsgk dhfuiv houisJEO NGAbad FFFFFFFFFF

Oh well, my game ranked better than 3/4 of the 15 submissions submitted so REJOICE! :)

edit: what there's 15 entries

This post has been edited by Kuroneko: 25 August 2007 - 04:15 AM

"Let's just say I'm a GOOD hacker, AND virus maker. I'm sure you wouldn't like to pay for another PC would you?"

xx̊y (OST) - HELLQUEST (OST) - Zeux I: Labyrinth of Zeux (OST) (DOS OST)
w/ Lancer-X and/or asgromo: Pandora's Gate - Thanatos Insignia - no True(n) - For Elise OST
MegaZeux: Online Help File - Keycode Guide - Joystick Guide - Official GIT Repository

#6 User is offline   CJA 

• «≡larch bucket≡»
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2007 - 03:50 AM

drelick's judging sheet, viewable from firefox

For those of you that can't be bothered.

(like me)

Edit: Permission error thing fixed :). also, cleared things up

This post has been edited by CJA: 25 August 2007 - 03:57 AM

Need a dispenser here.

#7 User is offline   weasel 

• bleh
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2007 - 04:36 AM

Syntaxglitch did not judge my game (#5443) fairly. At the very least I would like to see actual score values instead of "some/100". I don't care if you think it's a joke entry, but at least follow your own freaking rules!
Blaugh!
Serious damage to important body parts pretty much ruins any plans you had for living. Bummer.

#8 User is offline   asiekierka 

• ??
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2007 - 05:37 AM

Drelick, syntaxglitch: I ASKED to be DQ'd, since i joined matt later during the DoZ. That's why the game is at such a low state. By the way, uh, if you want to know the exact story (if you don't know already), please contact me.

Corwyn/wildweasel: I liked #5443 in fact... and i will really like to see a completed version.

This post has been edited by asiekierka: 25 August 2007 - 05:38 AM

Huh.

#9 User is offline   Xx*SaturnineMatthias*xX 

• Your mother.
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:24 AM

On behalf of the Envoys From B-Garden's SeeD's DoZ Task Force, I would like to say a few things.

Congratulations to Malwyn and LogiCow for winning, I knew it'd be either your team or Exo's. Why? Because you always win! :)

I'm extremely proud to have been part of the 3rd-place team this time around, it makes a refreshing change from being 11th, and it means that I fulfilled my mission this DoZ to...get better than 11th this time.

Also, thanks to Lancer-X and Terryn for hosting the DoZ, and to MZXGiant/Shatter and Mr_Alert for the Z-MZX show I found myself listening to throughout the DoZ.

Corwyn: Finish #5443!

Kuroneko: Your game crashed my MegaZeux upon loading it every single time sir.

Asiekierka: change your signature plz, I'm not dead
this is a signature

#10 User is offline   Dr Lancer-X 

• 電波、届いた?

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:27 AM

Corwyn, on Aug 25 2007, 02:36 PM, said:

Syntaxglitch did not judge my game (#5443) fairly. At the very least I would like to see actual score values instead of "some/100". I don't care if you think it's a joke entry, but at least follow your own freaking rules!

Your game was always going to be DQed anyway because you didn't nominate a topic and there was no visible link to either, though, so it wasn't a great injustice.
Posted Image
<Malwyn> Yes, yes. Don't worry I'd rather masturbate with broken glass than ask you for help again. :(

#11 User is offline   Exophase 

• Laughing on the inside.

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:33 AM

Guy, on Aug 24 2007, 10:39 PM, said:

I love how djtiesto was the only person who realized that there were no bugs in our game and that it's not incomplete.  It's supposed to loop!

Define "complete." I don't know why you keep defending what was an annoying last minute copout. Why not just admit that your team failed to finish the game?
~ ex0 has a kickass battle engine, without it you sux0rz! without it you sux0rz! ~

"The fact that I say I've one of the best, is called honesty." -Akwende
"Megazeux is not ment to be just ASCII, it is ANSI!" - T-bone6
"I hate it when you get all exo on me." - emalkay

Exophase can what Rubi-cant.
exoware is ware ur ware is exoware
ps. not loking 4 new membrs kthx

#12 User is offline   asiekierka 

• ??
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:00 AM

Guy did a cool game. Replayability is 0 to NONE though.
Huh.

#13 User is offline   LogiCow 

• Holiday cow
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2007 - 08:10 AM

Making a "Pixel perfect" platformer was pretty easy for us, since I've made similar engines in the past.

You can clearly see which parts of the graphics are by me and which parts are by Malwyn, as we had a different approach: I just wanted a few varieties of blocks for solid stuff, and a few varieties of decorations for the backgrounds. I spent very little time making the actual blocks, and they all look square. Malwyn made an elaborate tileset with dithering and lots of small color changes to fit more detail.

My bosses are terrible, I know ;)

#14 User is offline   Tox 

• Gay cowboy
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2007 - 08:38 AM

Oh, sweet. :)

For reference, pixel perfect platformers are pretty easy for logicow.

Immaculate graphicin' (much of which wasn't even seen) is my business. :p
lesser.swampling@hotmail.com

"about the only aisle a guy can walk into in that store and still feel heterosexual is the candy aisle."
"It had a very sinister appearance," Coakley told reporters. "It had a battery behind it, and wires."

#15 User is offline   weasel 

• bleh
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2007 - 01:17 PM

Lancer-X, on Aug 24 2007, 11:27 PM, said:

Your game was always going to be DQed anyway because you didn't nominate a topic and there was no visible link to either, though, so it wasn't a great injustice.

Process of elimination, Lancer. The game obviously doesn't fall under Genetics, does it?
Blaugh!
Serious damage to important body parts pretty much ruins any plans you had for living. Bummer.

#16 User is offline   Dr Lancer-X 

• 電波、届いた?

Posted 25 August 2007 - 01:36 PM

Exactly. And because your theme was <= 5, you got DQed. If the theme was Genetics you wouldn't have been =p
Posted Image
<Malwyn> Yes, yes. Don't worry I'd rather masturbate with broken glass than ask you for help again. :(

#17 User is offline   gingermuffins 

• Pip

Posted 25 August 2007 - 03:19 PM

The best thing was the ridiculously long tunnel sequence in A Nervous Stroll

#18 User is offline   CJA 

• «≡larch bucket≡»
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2007 - 04:49 PM

Exophase, on Aug 25 2007, 02:33 AM, said:

I love how djtiesto was the only person who realized that there were no bugs in our game and that it's not incomplete.  It's supposed to loop!

Define "complete." I don't know why you keep defending what was an annoying last minute copout. Why not just admit that your team failed to finish the game?

I have, a lot

and just in case I haven't: I admit it!

I wasn't even planning on submitting, but I was like "what the heck" an hour before the DoZ finished. We failed to finish the game but either way we did submit a game and it was supposed to loop and I did get a full night of sleep. Besides, stating that two judges missed a little quirk is hardly defending, especially since Guy didn't work on the end product at all.

This post has been edited by CJA: 25 August 2007 - 04:59 PM

Need a dispenser here.

#19 User is offline   Frobozz 

• Ryiah
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2007 - 05:15 PM

Tox, on Aug 25 2007, 03:38 AM, said:

Immaculate graphicin' (much of which wasn't even seen) is my business. :p

How about some pictures of the graphics that didn't make it? :)

#20 User is offline   djtiesto 

• SHOPPING PLEASE
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:51 PM

Well, I stand by my scores, hopefully nobody really has any complaint with them, I call it like I see it, sure a few of my biases are pretty apparent in my reviews (I'm not a fan of 1x1 sidescrollers in MZX), and I apologize if I was overly critical of your game... don't hate me!
Posted Image

Posted Image

#21 User is offline   Exophase 

Posted 25 August 2007 - 08:54 PM

CJA, on Aug 25 2007, 11:49 AM, said:

Exophase, on Aug 25 2007, 02:33 AM, said:

I have, a lot

and just in case I haven't: I admit it!

I wasn't even planning on submitting, but I was like "what the heck" an hour before the DoZ finished. We failed to finish the game but either way we did submit a game and it was supposed to loop and I did get a full night of sleep. Besides, stating that two judges missed a little quirk is hardly defending, especially since Guy didn't work on the end product at all.

Guy, not you. :x Guy has been shouting "it's not a bug" over and over now, as if you had planned it from the beginning. It's annoying. Only one of the judges called it incomplete anyway.
~ ex0 has a kickass battle engine, without it you sux0rz! without it you sux0rz! ~

#22 User is offline   Val 

• ring ring zap
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2007 - 09:43 PM

Exophase, on Aug 25 2007, 04:54 PM, said:

Guy, not you. :x Guy has been shouting "it's not a bug" over and over now, as if you had planned it from the beginning. It's annoying. Only one of the judges called it incomplete anyway.

Well, I'm sorry for correcting people when they say something untrue about the game. I suppose you'd rather neither of us said anything and just let everyone think the game was buggy or that they got an old version or something!

EDIT: Also, what do you mean, "over and over now?" I can recall like 3 instances of telling people the game wasn't buggy and they're pretty far apart and long ago.

This post has been edited by Guy: 25 August 2007 - 09:44 PM

#23 User is offline   Exophase 

Posted 25 August 2007 - 09:56 PM

Guy, on Aug 25 2007, 04:43 PM, said:

Exophase, on Aug 25 2007, 04:54 PM, said:

Well, I'm sorry for correcting people when they say something untrue about the game. I suppose you'd rather neither of us said anything and just let everyone think the game was buggy or that they got an old version or something!

EDIT: Also, what do you mean, "over and over now?" I can recall like 3 instances of telling people the game wasn't buggy and they're pretty far apart and long ago.

Three is a lot! Why are you so defensive about the game anyway? Lots of people said that DoZ games I've worked on were incomplete when they weren't, while CJA's game actually is...

#24 User is offline   CJA 

• «≡larch bucket≡»
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2007 - 11:36 PM

[url="http://cja.box43.net/dozjsjs/"]http://cja.box43.net/dozjsjs/[/url]

it's a new craze called "meta-judging" and we've totally, like, yes
Need a dispenser here.

#25 User is offline   ajs 

• carpe diem
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 August 2007 - 01:46 AM

It's no wonder it's hard to find people to judge games when all people can find time to do is criticise the judges.

Seriously, if you think you can do better, don't make a game next time. Judge instead.

Personally, I'd like to see CJA and asgromo judge a DoZ. Why not? I think you guys would do a good job.

--ajs.

#26 User is offline   asgromo 

• steiner, porsches
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 August 2007 - 02:03 AM

I did judge a DoZ; here is my sheet.

#27 User is offline   ajs 

• carpe diem
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 August 2007 - 02:30 AM

Judge another. It isn't mutually exclusive.

A lot of the time, people moan about two of the judges. How about we had only people judging that had participated at least once? Hopefully then people who moan about superficial reviews or lack of coherence would have less of an issue.

Don't get me wrong here, I don't really disagree with what you've said. I just think it's a poor show to retrospectively complain about something you had every chance to influence, and I think it's a recurring theme with post-DoZ analyses.

--ajs.

#28 User is offline   CJA 

• «≡larch bucket≡»
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 August 2007 - 02:39 AM

ajs, I accept!

I will lie dormant for five months and then spring into action!!

Light, witty, and refreshing like a spring breeze!

These are what my results will be!

They will ring out, solid and true, across the universe!
Need a dispenser here.

#29 User is offline   Old-Sckool 

• megazeux breaker
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 August 2007 - 04:54 AM

Terryn, on Aug 24 2007, 11:24 PM, said:

Addendum: Just in case anyone notices, mzxg made an error calculating #7676's overall score and syntax did the same for #2628. We've kept the sheets unedited for now, but the scores above have been triple-checked as the correct scores.

Whoo! 10 bonus points!
<Nadir> mzxers don't make GAMES, usually
<phthalocyanine> they make experiences.
<Nadir> demos, more like
<Nadir> a glimpse into what could have been if mzx wasn't such a bore to work with
<Nadir> actually, i'm being unfair
<Nadir> i would have made mzx games if it was capable of running on more than 20 computers worldwide in 1998
<Nadir> >:D

<%Alice> functor
<%nooodl> i hear C++ has a thing called functors and they're completely different from Haskell functors...
<rorirover> the result is the most horrid thing in C++, it's basically black magic and it transforms any code you're writing into some eldritch monstrosity

#30 User is offline   weasel 

• bleh
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 August 2007 - 05:03 AM

I'd like to apologize for my prior behavior in this thread. I was pissed off and I let it spill into my posts.
Blaugh!

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users