• You cannot reply to this topic

Classic Dungeon Crawl Games

#1 User is offline   T-Bone 

• Wastelander
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:26 PM

Hey guys!

I've been working on a dungeon crawl first person game for some time now. Drawing from inspiration from old classic dungeon crawl games like Might and Magic, Eye of the Beholder and Lands of Lore.While working on it i was kind of jolted back in time to when my dad used to play these even older dungeon crawl games on those big floppy disks. The ones that ran off of old VGA monitors and even monochromatic monitors. Unfortunately we have forgotten their names. Some of them were even designed using ASCII characters though they were first person.

Do you guys happen to recall these games? Do you remember any of their names?
Youtube - teabone3 - Twitter - teabone3 - Twitch - teabone3

#2 User is offline   Terryn 

• Group: DigiStaff

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:33 PM

Moraffware games were the most notable shareware entries (Moraff's World, Dungeons of the Unforgiven).

Interplay released an anniversary collection quite a bit ago that contained two such games: The Bard's Tale (kind of a "big deal" back when) and Dragon Wars. I've only finished the latter, oops. It also had Wasteland on it but that doesn't really count, IIRC.

Personally, I liked the Dungeon Master formula (which is now the GRIM AND NECRO ROCK formula, I guess) better than the turn-based systems.
angelic stream - shed sanguine - ill-adapt - avis - para/lyser - renaissance - dead tangent - phosphene blur - birth breeds death - ________ - painted glass - lagniappe

<Exophase> HES STEALING MAH AIRSHIP!!!!!!11111111

#3 User is offline   Dr Lancer-X 

• 電波、届いた?
  • Group: DigiStaff

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:59 PM

I second Dungeons of the Unforgiven for elves on surfboards.

Akalabeth and Ultima games up to V also had first-person dungeons- in Ultima I and Akalabeth they were the majority of gameplay so I think they count.
Posted Image
<Malwyn> Yes, yes. Don't worry I'd rather masturbate with broken glass than ask you for help again. :(

#4 User is offline   djtiesto 

• SHOPPING PLEASE
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 July 2017 - 12:58 AM

3D dungeon crawlers have gained quite a resurgence over the past few years, of course now they can be found on the Vita and usually feature loli anime girls.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Spectere 

• Resident Spectere Fanboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:33 PM

View PostT-Bone, on 17 July 2017 - 09:26 AM, said:

The ones that ran off of old VGA monitors and even monochromatic monitors.

The Moraff dungeon crawlers definitely fit the bill here. Barring the first entry in the series (Moraff's Revenge, which I believe was CGA-only), they run on everything from 320x200x2 to 1024x768x256. They also had very weird, distinctive enemies (the aforementioned elves on surfboards, garbage cans, druggies, and stat changing puffballs). They also had a tendency to heavily (ab)use color cycling on (S)VGA displays, so if any of that rings a bell you're probably thinking of the Moraff games.
:)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users