dMZX Forums: MZX Subreddit - dMZX Forums

If you are new to DMZX, please take the time to look over the FAQ pinned in General before asking a question.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

MZX Subreddit

#1 User is offline   AlphaCoder 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:59 AM

So on a whim I checked if there was a MZX subreddit and I saw that there was: https://www.reddit.com/r/megazeux/

I would recommend that the community migrates in that direction. This forum is incredibly niche at this point and I'd hate to see it die completely. Reddit is definitely more convenient. I have to login every time I come to this site.. because I don't visit it that often. Because it's just an MZX forum. That means remembering my username here which is AlphaCoder for some reason. I can't remember why.

Just my two cents. MZX is so great and it's behind the times at this point to have a dedicated forum when there are sites like Reddit that do the job better and more conveniently. Plus the more active a subreddit is, the more likely it is that someone will post something really great or hilarious and make it onto /r/all and then all of the sudden you have an influx of new and potentially interested people. This in turn, you either regard that as a great thing (which I do) or you shudder at the notion in which case you represent an element of this community that I regard as bad and if you're the majority, then the community is probably unsalvageable. But I don't think this is the case. Everyone here seems great and we have a few really talented designers and coders. Several really. Maybe more.

This post has been edited by AlphaCoder: 14 February 2018 - 02:01 AM

#2 User is offline   Lachesis 

• the pinnacle of human emotion
  • Group: DigiStaff

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:34 AM

I don't think you're necessarily wrong that the community would benefit from having an active subreddit or that it could replace the forum. My thoughts on this:

• There is a fairly active Discord server for MZX. The majority of MZX-related conversation occurs on Discord these days.
  • The subreddit is run by (relative) unknowns to the community who don't seem to be particularly active here, on Discord, or on their own subreddit. The last thing posted on r/megazeux is a hip retrospective from 2 years ago about how MZX sucks and is dead. Having more users in the subreddit would be great, but I don't think the current base is about to move there. First, many MZXers have found Discord infinitely more convenient than a forum (particularly phone users) and the Discord server is already well-established, so they might not want to move or split their attention. Second, the subreddit has next to no activity. I'm not against getting myself an account and cross-posting MZX releases there, but I don't know how much it will help.
  • The forum does need to be replaced for other reasons. Just retiring it would be less work than a migration, but...
    • The vault is tied to forum accounts, and decoupling them—or more likely finishing my vault rewrite, which has this built-in—would require more work than I can take on at the moment.
    • As a board plugin, the trackers are significantly tied to the forum. They have giant redirect links on the forum front page and still few enough people report anything there as it is. They could be migrated elsewhere, but it'd require users to get another login somewhere else. I'm not against this, and I even opened up the issues section of the Github repository to see if we'd get any reports there (so far 0). This might happen regardless, but we'd need to find somewhere else for our non-MegaZeux trackers or bin them.
    • The wiki is tied to forum accounts (yes, it still exists). A significant amount of MZX info, tutorials, and Day of Zeux archives are stored here, and while some of this info—i.e. development instructions and tutorials—would be a good fit for a Github wiki, the rest wouldn't be. This could probably be decoupled with less effort than the vault, but I don't know enough about MediaWiki to say for sure.
    • It's useful to be able to log into the forum and search it for historical purposes.
    • Significant overhauls regarding these are being actively considered.

tl;dr i'm intrigued, but not convinced
"Let's just say I'm a GOOD hacker, AND virus maker. I'm sure you wouldn't like to pay for another PC would you?"

xx̊y (OST) - HELLQUEST (OST) - Zeux I: Labyrinth of Zeux (OST) (DOS OST)
w/ Lancer-X and/or asgromo: Pandora's Gate - Thanatos Insignia - no True(n) - For Elise OST
MegaZeux: Online Help File - Keycode Guide - Joystick Guide - Official GIT Repository

#3 User is offline   AlphaCoder 

• Pip

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:49 AM

A lot of really good points. Also I didn't know about the MZX Discord. I'm hip enough to use Reddit but not *quite* hip enough to use Discord regularly yet. I'll have to check it out!

#4 User is offline   KKairos 

• not an actual chipmunk
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 February 2018 - 06:20 AM

Yeah, I'm one of the two or three people currently active in all places, and that's just barely so, because of how sporadically I reddit
darganflayer.net kaikairos.dev itch.io

#5 User is offline   CJA 

• «≡larch bucket≡»
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:19 PM

View PostLachesis, on 13 February 2018 - 10:34 PM, said:

I don't think you're necessarily wrong that the community would benefit from having an active subreddit or that it could replace the forum. My thoughts on this:

• There is a fairly active Discord server for MZX. The majority of MZX-related conversation occurs on Discord these days.
  • The subreddit is run by (relative) unknowns to the community who don't seem to be particularly active here, on Discord, or on their own subreddit. The last thing posted on r/megazeux is a hip retrospective from 2 years ago about how MZX sucks and is dead. Having more users in the subreddit would be great, but I don't think the current base is about to move there. First, many MZXers have found Discord infinitely more convenient than a forum (particularly phone users) and the Discord server is already well-established, so they might not want to move or split their attention. Second, the subreddit has next to no activity. I'm not against getting myself an account and cross-posting MZX releases there, but I don't know how much it will help.
  • The forum does need to be replaced for other reasons. Just retiring it would be less work than a migration, but...
    • The vault is tied to forum accounts, and decoupling them—or more likely finishing my vault rewrite, which has this built-in—would require more work than I can take on at the moment.
    • As a board plugin, the trackers are significantly tied to the forum. They have giant redirect links on the forum front page and still few enough people report anything there as it is. They could be migrated elsewhere, but it'd require users to get another login somewhere else. I'm not against this, and I even opened up the issues section of the Github repository to see if we'd get any reports there (so far 0). This might happen regardless, but we'd need to find somewhere else for our non-MegaZeux trackers or bin them.
    • The wiki is tied to forum accounts (yes, it still exists). A significant amount of MZX info, tutorials, and Day of Zeux archives are stored here, and while some of this info—i.e. development instructions and tutorials—would be a good fit for a Github wiki, the rest wouldn't be. This could probably be decoupled with less effort than the vault, but I don't know enough about MediaWiki to say for sure.
    • It's useful to be able to log into the forum and search it for historical purposes.
    • Significant overhauls regarding these are being actively considered.

tl;dr i'm intrigued, but not convinced

Reddit also offers subreddit wikis, but a lot of the material we have there (about archived competitions and whatnot) just doesn't seem like a fit. Like, is Winter 2014 Dualstream Day of Zeux suitable to be on a subreddit wiki? Or Cans or Ripster88? I guess it's up to the way we organize it, but... eh I dunno it would seam weird to have the products of such a tight-knit group on a big open thing like the subreddit. Who the heck are the owner and mods there anyway?

On the other hand, migrating MediaWiki to another MediaWiki install is fairly easy; they offer a bunch of scripts in the install directory, at maintenance/grab*.php, just had to do that recently though I cannot speak for what happens to user accounts.

So yeah, the concerns are:
  • the Vault, The Vault, The Vault!
  • Ownership of subreddit
  • Dichotomy of community history versus executable-related content and where that would fit in "someone else's turf" i.e. reddit
  • Moving MediaWiki to wherever it's going

This post has been edited by CJA: 16 February 2018 - 12:24 PM

Need a dispenser here.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users